Monday, January 12, 2009

I have a big project to work on this summer. It is a family cookbook for my children. I'm taking my mother's and both grandmother's recipies, photocopying them and then typing them into some kind of scrapbook. I have plans for drawings, pictures, family stories, dates, names etc. If it goes well I might send it to a publisher.
Here's a sneak peek at a page from my grandmother's cookbook.

Spinach Pie---Pita
2 large bags of spinach
2 boxes of cottage cheese
1/2 lb feta cheese
1 stick of butter
a bunch of scallions
6-8 eggs
1 box of filo dough

Cut spinach and scallions, and mix with all ingredients except butter and filo dough.
Melt butter.
Layer 2 pieces of filo on bottom of large pan, brush with butter.
Put some spinach mixture.
Keep layering until spinach is gone and 4 or so pieces of filo remain.
Layer the remaining filo on top.
Brush with butter, especially the edges.
Bake for about 30 minutes.
No temp was given. I cook at 350-375 for 30 plus minutes. more like 1 hour, keep checking it.
The top should be flaky and golden brown.
Lots of wiggle room here.

3 comments:

Carol said...

That is a big undertaking...I made my son and son in laws cookbooks for Christmas this year and it was fun to do...they seemed to enjoy them ...

Kathy... said...

Oh...thanks so much for the recipe! I may have to save this one for a special occasion (as I have to modify everyday dinners for my husband's heart). It sounds super fantastic!!!!

My son says he wants to start cooking and is asking for family favs. I may try to combine a few, but my version will not be fancy at all. Good luck on your project.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a pretty big project! Good for you.