Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Dorie Recipe

As usual, I was listening to NPR on the way home, and Dorie Greenspan was on. I loved the interview. I immediately ordered Baking From My House to Yours from Amazon. I love that Amazon Prime.
Then I downloaded Around my French Table onto my Kindle Fire.
My first attempt at a Dorie recipe was on the front cover. That chicken dish with the crust around it.
Why show the book cover and not your food, you might say? Ahemm, not a pretty sight. First the crust looked like some kind of growth that needed to be lanced. Then, I used chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. It wasn't a pretty sight. In the recipe, Dorie says to unlock the seal at the table so everyone can delight in the aroma. [The dough is circled around the top of the pot and the cover seals it shut.] The result was not what I expected. We all had a good laugh.
The taste? Let me just say it was delicious the next night, after I cooked it more and added a few more veggies to make up for the lack of chicken pieces and the resulting juices that weren't there.
I bought a whole chicken and will try again tonight. I'll take pictures this time.

Recipe #2.....the chocolate cake from the cover of the Baking Book.
Again, no photo. The cake looked beautiful, and tasted great. Still looking for a perfect chocolate cake. There are some small round shortbread cookies I want to try next.

I'm thinking of joining a group cooking the recipes in another Dorie book, Baking With Julia. Julia is of course, THE Julia. Two recipes a month and posting them. Why not, just add it to my growing list of things to do.

No comments: